Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love coconut oil. It is such an amazing ingredient, that has SO many uses, from cooking, to facial cleanser and moisturiser. Everyone should have a jar of it. Go for a good quality virgin oil that hasn’t been heat treated, supervalu do a lovely one and it’s great value (around €7).
Coconut has had very bad press with the diet industry classing it as fattening and unhealthy, the opposite is actually true, it helps you lose weight. It is high in fat, but it is good fats that are essential for our body to work effectively, good fats are necessary for every cell in your body to work well. Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides which are metabolized easily by the body and used as a good source of energy, not stored on your hips!
It’s solid at room temperature, and melts when it reaches 25 degrees C, which is about 2 days a year in Ireland!
Coconut oil is great to cook with and it’s the only oil I use at home, it does have a coconutty flavour, but if you like coconut you’ll love it. It’s great to cook with too because even when it’s heated it still retains its good properties.
Coconut oil has so many amazing uses and health benefits;
- It actually helps you lose weight, and helps you burn fat
- It’s very beneficial for your heart
- It’s an amazing moisturiser – I’ve been using it as a night cream for the last few months, I went on holiday a few weeks ago and didn’t want to bring the big jar of coconut oil so I used a different moisturiser, by the end of the 4 days my skin was dry and flaky, and had started to break out, once I started using the coconut oil again it went back to normal within a day!
- It’s a brilliant cleanser, even removes waterproof mascara
- Brilliant for your hair
- Amazing body mosituriser and scrub – recipe below
- Great for the immune system, helps fight bacterial and viral infections
- It’s full of antioxidants
- Helps boost metabolism
Lavender and Coconut Body Scrub
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt or caster sugar
- A few drops of lavender essential oil (or any oil you like)
Mix all the ingredients together well, it lasts for months!
This sounds random, any you wouldn’t think it would work but it really, really does!
Oil pulling is an Ayurveda practice that’s very trendy at the moment, is believed to help your wellbeing in lots of different ways: it whitens your teeth, improves your skin, improves bad breath gets rid of toxins, and more. To give it a go, first thing in the morning, before you brush your teeth, put about a dessert spoon of coconut oil in your mouth an chew until it dissolves, then swish it around your mouth for 10-20 minutes, then spit out (not in the sink as it will go solid and block your drains!) It might seem like a long time but while you’re have a shower and getting dressed it’ll be done.
So go out and buy a jar today, I promise you’ll soon be converted into a coconut lover