3 large cooking apples, peeled and cored
270g (9oz) soft butter
270g (9oz) caster sugar
3 large eggs
270g (9oz) self raising flour – sieved
1/2 tsp baking power
1 tsp vanilla extract
Handful flaked almonds
1. Place the apples in a pan with a little water and cook until they start to soften, remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, whisk the eggs in one at a time, beating after each addition.
3. Fold in the flour, baking powder and vanilla.
4. Place half the mix in a lined 8inch square tin, then spread out the apple, then the rest of the maderia mix on top.
5. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
6. Bake at 180c for 30-35 minutes until golden and firm.